Monday 23 January 2017

Script Addition - Seyi

I found vital information today to add to the script which contains more current news. I remembered watching TV, and the news was Taylor Swift removed her music from Spotify. I retrieved formal information, such as quotes and more from the Rolling Stone website and the Independent website. Below is my addition to the script. My next post will be the new 3 column script.



In November, Taylor Swift, removed her catalogue from Spotify last year, because she believes allowing listeners to play her music for free undermines the value of her “art." She states, "I'm not willing to contribute my life's work to an experiment that I don't feel fairly compensates the writers, producers, artists and creators of this music." she then goes on to say "I felt like I was saying to my fans, "If you create music someday, if you create a painting someday, someone can just walk into a museum, take it off the wall, rip off a corner off it and it's theirs now and they don't have to pay for it," she said.

Her record label president, Scott Borchetta, refers to her decision as a "big fist in the air" that other prominent artists are sure to follow. He then goes on to say "If a fan purchased t
he record and then their friends go, ‘Why did you pay for it? It’s free on Spotify,’ we’re being completely disrespectful to that superfan."
So was Taylor right to remove her music from the streaming service?
According to Spotify CEO, Daniel Ek, Swift's fans have since been listening to her music on YouTube, making the whole idea pointless.

Ek told Billboard "her YouTube streams went through the roof, What that tells me is the audience that was listening to Taylor Swift on Spotify went on YouTube to do it instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment